Thursday, June 23, 2011

Hunting for Chia

Hey guys!

Although today is technically a Thursday, it's my unofficial start of the weekend [I only work Mon-Wed!!] so I took advantage of all my spare time and decided to head out for an early run.  I was up at 6, enjoying my blueberry muffin oatmeal! Then I was out the door.

Blueberry Muffin Over-sized Oats
Ingredients:
-1/2 cup of oats (I use Old-fashioned)
- 1/2 a cup of non-dairy milk (almond!)
- 1 1/2 cups of water
- Handful on blueberries
- 2 sweetener packets
- a tsp of vanilla extract

I used the Never-Ending Oatmeal method & thoroughly enjoyed :)


After hitting my favorite running route, I decided to make a pit stop at our local health food store in search of Bulgur, Oats, Bananas (gotta have the oats&nanners!) and Chia.  Of course I couldn't navigate the confusing aisles, so I asked the butcher [probably not the best choice] where I could find Chia seeds.  After a quick consultation with his fellow butchers, they decided to find the store manager and ask the man himself.  I waited patiently next to the pork and sausage... way too early in the morning for raw meat... and then I saw the group of men returning to give me the news.  The store manager look embarrassed but he told me that, unfortunately, few stores still carried chia pets, but they're really easy to make myself.  He then proceeded to ask if I needed help finding everything I would need to make my own chia pet... oh lord.

I was really trying not to laugh because the guys were so helpful (err sort of?) but I explained the obvious difference between chia seeds and chia pets.  HAHAHAHA they left and came back with what I needed:  

Then I walked home, past a few parks filled with summer camps, made myself a Nanner Smoothie and sat down to reflect on how dorky I must have looked asking for a "chia pet" and began planning lunch... we'll be in touch :) after I cook up something delicious!

No comments:

Post a Comment