Thursday, June 30, 2011

Black Bean Brownies & the BEST Breakfasts!


Boy, do I have some guilt-free goodies for you!

In an effort to make up for my food-less and philosophical post from yesterday, I made sure to photograph all my lovely dishes before I completely inhaled them... I'm learning :)

Let's start off with Dinner: a beautiful mix of left overs and what ever I could come up with in my refridge - I'm heading back home for the fourth so my fresh food supply is dwindling.   Let's see what I came up with:

Pan-seared Garlic Scallops with Curried Baby Bok Choy & Non-Fried Veggie Bulgar
Ingredients:
- 5 Scallops (I used ArcherFarms Freshly Caught Scallops)
- Garlic Salt
- Chicken Broth
- Minced Garlic 

In a saute pan, combine the broth and minced garlic and let it heat up before placing the scallops in.  You can cover the pan to steam them or just be patient and pan sear both sides.  Add the garlic salt and some pepper to top it off :) 

Ingredients: Baby Bok Choy, Chilli Sauce, and Red Thai Curry Sauce... 
Steam the Baby Bok Choy for 3 minutes and then add in the sauces - easy as pie and almost as delicious

Check out this post for my bulgar recipe!!! if you cant tell, I've eaten it for lunch and dinner for the past three days, if that's any indication on how AMAZING it is.



As I said in my last post, I've been crazyyy busy with work and training for my new job, so when my roommates wanted to head out to the city for a little clubbing...you can guess my response.  After dragging myself home from my strength training/cardio/free weights sesh at the gym, I called up my girl friend who came over with some gluten-free chocolate brownie mix and a chick flick!  HELLO PERFECT NIGHT!

Because we're girls, because it's that time of the month, and because we both share and intense love of chocolate, we decided to do a little taste test: her gluten-free brownies vs. a black bean brownie recipe i've been DYING to try out. 

 MOIST FUDGY BLACK BEAN BROWNIES


I used Katie's recipe for Moist Fudgy Brownies over at Dashing Dish and I was beyond impressed.  By the way, guys, check out this girl's site for delicious recipes that are extremely healthy!  She also posts the nutritional info for those of us who can't completely let go of our calorie counting ways...

Ingredients: 
  • 1 can black beans (drained & rinsed)
  • 3 large eggs
  • 3/4 cup Splenda
  • 1/4 cup cocoa powder (I used unsweetened)
  • 2 tbsp strong coffee (or 1 1 tsp instant coffee)
  • 1 tsp baking powder (add another tsp for more cakey brownies)
  • 3 tbsp vegetable oil - I subbed in apple sauce instead
  • ¼ teaspoon salt
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  •  
 Blend together all the ingredients, except the beans, and once they're all blended, add in the black beans and mix it up in your blender until it's smooth, creamy and delicious.  Pour into an 8 x 8 pan and bake at 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes.  Cut into 16 pieces and enjoy (I ate 3 brownies...oops)


Mmmm.... I was seriously spoon the leftover mix from the blender into my mouth, it was so good


These brownies were super chocolate-y & I could really taste that mocha flavor from the instant coffee.  I wouldn't recommend substituing the apple sauce for oil.. it creates a weird texture that I wasn't ready for.  By the way, the extra fiber in these brownies from the can of black beans definitely helps your "system"... they should consider naming these bowel movement brownies (it just doesn't sound as appetizing).


So, after enjoying movies and brownies with my friend, I packed up my suitcase because I have a 9 am flight back to beautiful southern California!  Which means, early wake up.  This didn't stop me from having breakfast though.  Along with my typical bowl of blueberry oatmeal (that stuff is seriously addicting), I had something new:

I Can't Believe It's Not Fro-Yo
this has got to be the thickest smoothie I've ever had.  I've been experimenting with recipes that will give me that thick ice cream/fro yo texture so I can finally stop splurging on expensive frozen yogurt every day (sometimes twice a day!)

Ingredients:
- Strawberry Creme Protein Powder
- Xanthum Gum for thickening
- 1 fresh Mango
- 5 ice cubes
- A little cream
- 1 cup to 1 1/2 cups of water
- any add ins or toppings: I topped with granola and honey almond cereal for a little crunch :) SO GOOD

oh and some chocolate syrup... duh

Alright guys, I'm about to board!  I'll keep you updated with all my foodie adventures from southern California babyyyy!

No comments:

Post a Comment