Monday, December 5, 2011

Healthy Pumpkin Pie Pudding

Today marks the beginning of Dead Week.

Basically, we have a week of no lectures or labs (hence dead) which we are supposed to use to prepare for exams and finals (also an appropriate meaning for dead).

Stress levels are beginning to creep up.

Tensions are high.

Okay, so I'm being a little over dramatic, but you catch my drift.

In order to keep myself sane, I've been in "feel good mode." Which means 3 things:
- hanging with friends
- eating good food
- enjoying some gorgeous runs

Sundays are usually my long recovery runs -- which I've recently been splitting in to two parts, since I've now found some unfortunate souls who are too nice to reject me when I beg them to go running with me! I ended up doing an easy 12 miles and my legs felt great.


First of all, it's freezing so ignore a very attractive picture of me in my "snow gear."

I started off with an easy 6.5 miles on one of my regular never-fails-to-entertain-me routes, then met up with a coworker to do another 5.5 to this gorgeous look out point, where you can see the entire Bay Area.  We timed it perfectly so the sun was setting and we could still see the skyline... gorgeous.

I didn't mean to run that much, but what's a girl to do?  I had plans to meet up with my favorite ladies, and Annie's brothers who are visiting from Ohio, for dinner, so I headed home and completed one of my shower-in-under-3-minutes-and-throw-on-some-clothes routines.

Where did we go?

An old favorite: OUR MEDITERRANEAN RESTAURANT!


All of us ordered the Middle Eastern Sampler Plate: chicken pomegranate, spinach and feta filo roll, a lamb and cinnamon filo roll, a levant sandwich, hummus, and a side salad topped with feta and tomato vinaigrette. YUM.  Annie and I ordered double salad instead of rice -- good call, because that tomato vinaigrette is kind of my jam.

I think her brothers were happy with our choice, because we all finished our plates.
Yeah, never doubt the size of my stomach... Especially after a 12 mile run.

So... Annie's brother, Will, has a sweet tooth (I've asked him multiple times if we're related) soooo we started having the dessert conversation half way through our entrees.

Carrot cake with cream cheese frosting and a mug of hot vanilla tea on the side?


What? You mean people usually share their desserts?  I guess I missed that social norm...

I finished off my cake and nearly licked the plate clean.

-------------------------------------------
-------------------------------------------

Okay, now we finally get to the Pumpkin Pie Pudding recipe!!

I just made you sit through insignificant details about my life first - I figured I'd put the recipe at the end so I'd trick you guys into reading about my day.  smart.

Anyways, I saw a recipe for no bake pumpkin pie and I definitely wanted to try it out!  Then, I saw a recipe for pumpkin pie mousse which also intrigued me...

So, after taste testing and messing around in the kitchen... I created a hybrid of the two:

Healthy Pumpkin Pie Pudding!

Ingredients:
- 1 can of pumpkin puree
- 1 package of sugar free butterscotch pudding
- 1/2 package of sugar free vanilla pudding
- a 1/2 cup of milk (I used unsweetened vanilla almond milk) *
- 1 cup of plain yogurt *
- Cinnamon and Pumpkin Pie Spice to taste

* feel free to omit the yogurt (I was just trying it out but I'm pretty sure it wouldn't taste any different) Also, if you want to add more milk to thin it out, go ahead!

Instructions: mix it all together and place in the refrigerator for about 30 minutes!  You'll get a thick pudding that tastes great with toppings and whipped cream!

I've been topping mine with fat-free cool whip and some Fiber One honey grahams cereal (tastes exactly like pie crust!) genius.

This recipe is great for those of you who are looking for sugar-free dessert options!

HAPPY MONDAY!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment