Wednesday, January 11, 2012

14 Miles and a New Best Friend

Happy Humpday!

I'm really bummed to be leaving the beautiful (and cold) East coast tomorrow... I'm returning to San Diego for just a few days and then it's back to the Bay for Spring Semester!  WEIRD. After a month of doing absolutely nothing that involves cognitive thought processes... it's going to be quite a change.

Anyways, I decided to enjoy my last Tuesday in Virginia doing a few things I love the most.

Breakfast
Those of you who are into healthy living blogs have probably heard of Overnight Oats.  It was one of the first "recipes" I stumbled across after I started reading more blogs and it definitely intrigued me.  For some reason, it's taken me 8 months to try!  I think I was obsessed with my warm oats a little too much.


Overnight Oats can be made a bunch of different ways (depending on taste prefs), but I've been doing 1/3 cup of oats, 1/3 cup of almond milk, 1 tbsp of greek yogurt, a dash of cinnamon, a dash of vanilla extract, and a packet of stevia.  You mix it all together and put it in the fridge overnight!  Then you wake up, pull it out, stir it up, and top it with whatever you'd like! Easy, huh?

The result is a cream, thick pudding-like substance and keeps me full for over 4 hours!  Weird.



I've been topping my Overnight Oats with multigrain cheerios, bananas, blueberries, and some PB2 peanut butter powder -- YUM. I've had this breakfast 3 days in a row and I haven't been disappointed yet.  It has some major "staying power" if you know what I mean.

Workout:
After all my carbo loading the night before, I knew I'd be able to tackle a long run.  Since being on winter break, I haven't been able to run more than 10 or 11 miles at a time... Yes, it sounds like a lot, but my long runs are usually upward of 14 miles. So, I laced up my sneaks and just started exploring.

It was fun.  There was powder on the ground from yesterday's snowfall BUT it was warm and sunny outside.  Perfect running weather!! I covered 14.3 miles and it felt good (not forced).

Lunch:
I came home, still not tooooo hungry from my oats -- I told you, it really fills you up.  BUT as soon as I got in the shower, I felt kind of empty.

Long runs make me crave weird and random things.  So, I made PB toast with sliced strawberries on top, a bowl of oatmeal with cheerios and almond milk, and 1/2 of a random custard bun.


Try this fruit and nut butter combo!  It's delicious!
And it's a nice break from the usually banana and pb combo, or the jelly and pb.

After a nap, Nelly and I headed out to do some walking.
It was so gorgeous outside AND the weather was behaving itself (for a change...)



Nice huh??

OH!  So, after our walk,  I had to pee... but instead of doing that, I walked into a running store to look for a fuel belt (to hold water and some sort of fuel for long runs).  I ended up making a new best friend!  The guy that works there has  run 35 marathons, a few triathlons, and 2 iron mans.  UM, cool! So, we started talking about my mileage, my fueling, my lack of cross-training.. etc.

He invited me back today to run around for him so he can correct all my weird bio-mechanics and give me a few running/training tips.  I'm kind of excited.  I don't know if he's married... If not, I'm all over that.

Dinner:
I wasn't necessarily starving, I just felt really empty.  Meaning, I needed food - fast.
I did the most logical thing: grab every sort of leftover from our fridge, heated it up with some chopped red onion, and put it on top of some lettuce.

Butternut squash, lentils, garlic shrimp, swiss chard, bbq pork, hearts of palm, feta cheese, and roasted red peppers on top of mixed lettuce!




Close up of my random char siu - bbq pork - just to prove that I eat my meat :)

Anyways, it was a great, relaxing day.
I just got back from the gym and I have a lunch date (with my parents) + date with my new best friend at the running store this afternoon! SWEET!

No comments:

Post a Comment