Tuesday, January 3, 2012

New Year, New Coast

Hello, from Washington D.C!


This girl decided to keep you on your toes and switch coasts on ya...
Yeah, if you couldn't tell already, traveling is an integral part of my "holiday" plans!

But you know what that means?
It's the party that never ends!!! (until it does... on January 16th)

My last night in San Diego was spent doing the traditional New Year's day dinner
Prime Rib, Roasted Veggies, and Healthy Mashed Potatoes




I didn't eat as much meat as it looks like I did... my body still isn't used to all this animal protein! BUT I did fill up on about half a plate full of sautéed zucchini, broccoli, mushrooms, and onions!  I've been sautéing them with salt, pepper, italian seasoning, onion, and garlic and it's delicious.

Sister and I also rang in the New Year with an old favorite: Golden Spoon.
We decided to get our yogurt and our toppings to go and create a make-shift yogurt and topping buffet bar --- while watching our favorite serial killer (Dexter... you are the man of my dreams)


Yes, those are chopped nuts on top of my fat-free frozen yogurt.
This year will be healthier....

But froyo is healthy, right?

----------------------------------------
----------------------------------------

I was up bright and early (ish) to get my bfast on before heading out for a run.

I've been loving the yogurt bowl recently:
- 1 cup of non-fat greek yogurt
- 1/2 cup of cereal (I alternate between whatever we have in the house)
- some fresh fruit
- cinnamon and sugar free preserves
- topped with almond milk/soy milk (I don't know why, but I always eat my yogurt like this)

I'll take a picture next time so you can see how ridiculous the milk/yogurt combo looks.
But looks aren't everything (another good reminder for the new year!)

UGH, I've been meaning to complain to you for awhile...
I've been in a running slump.

It's a disaster.  I cramp.  My legs feel like lead.  I debate calling different family members for a ride home.  I have to walk just to make it through a long run.... it's bad.

I went on an 11 miler yesterday and I had to alternate between running and walking after about 7.5 miles.  What gives??  I'd say all those desserts/probable dehydration is catching up to me.

ANYWAYS, I'm going to easy back in and ramp up my miles.  nothing to worry about.

I hopped on a 1 o'clock flight to Washington and was served an excellent meal on the plane:

Tomato bisque and a chopped salad topped with cheese, turkey, tomatoes, and olives. 




This meal didn't quite satisfy my 11 mile hunger, so I ate an apple and fiber one bar I packed for emergencies.  The fiber one bar took the place of the warm, chocolate-chip cookies the stewardess was passing out... new year will be a healthy one!


Okay, and after my dad picked me up in 30 degree weather, I stopped for a soft-serve cone.
Go figure.



I'VE BEEN SPOILED ROTTEN BY SANTA CLAUS!!!!!

Because my dad and mom #2 (I often refer to her as smom, because she smothers/moms me all the time.... true love of a parent, I know) live on the East coast and I don't get to celebrate the holidays with them, they keep the tree up and my presents all wrapped until I get here!

Which means.... presents galore.
I had birthday and Christmas presents to open!

Some highlights:
- MY BRAND NEW MACBOOK PRO (I desperately needed an upgrade... my old macbook was making airplane noises and I was getting weird looks in the library)
- A BRAND NEW NIKON (details to come later... I'm trying to figure out how to work it) 
- TICKET TO BOSTON FOR SPRING BREAK!!! to visit my sister... what else would I do with my spare time?  


WOOHOOO.
Okay, I'm off to plan the day/maybe prepare for a ridiculously cold run.

Some things to think about: A healthy New Year for you??
We often get caught up in the "lose weight for a resolution" trend, but let's not forget that it's about being healthy not about losing weight.  Here are some articles on how to stay on track during the last of the holiday get togethers and how to make a healthy change for the new year!
- FitSugar: Healthy Change to Help You Lose Big Pounds
- CookingLight: Our Best Healthy Lunch Ideas
- FitSugar: Holiday Plate Makeover
- FitSugar: Benefits of a Cheat Day

No comments:

Post a Comment