Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Catching Up

Well, I have tons to catch up on.
Sleep.  Eats.  Work.  Social life... okay scratch the last one, we all know it doesn't exist.

Thanks to my brilliant idea to join a team that wakes up at 4:30 every morning and practices twice a day.... I've had zero energy to do anything other than the bare minimum.

I've had to take naps, each random snacks, fit in quick cardio sets, and rush to study groups just to keep up with my course work.  Needless to say, I'm rethinking my decision.

To Crew or Not To Crew?

First of all, how could you not want to be on the water, gliding across, as the sun rises?  It's one of the most beautiful experiences - once your team starts rowing in rhythm, it's really magical. 
However, my whole life has been changed since joining.  I wake up at 4:30, scarf down a granola bar, freeze my ass off and enjoy some time on the lake, then come back, eat, do my work, nap, nap, go to class, work out, nap... are you dizzy yet?  It's ridiculous.

Therefore, I'm rethinking the crew team.  I'm still up in the air at this point, but I'm leaning more towards "school and sleep are more important that sunrises" -- unfortunately.

Breakfast:
I've been working with this weird early-morning wake up, so I've been eating a luna bar or a VitaTop Muffin with PB before practice and then coming back to a nice, warm bowl of oats.
Back to Basics Oats: plain oatmeal topped with a sprinkle of stevia and cinnamon, with bananas and blueberries (and almond milk after the picture!)

Workouts:
I've been rowing from 5:30-7 every morning, but since we're still in the recruiting process, we're mostly doing sets that focus on technique and not so much on pure cardio and strength.  That being said, our coach has "encouraged us" to get in two workouts a day :( so, I've been running the hills a bit.  Weirdest realization - I like running without music.

I was on a rather boring 10 miler on Sunday and I just couldn't get myself to enjoy it.  I found myself zoning out and distracting myself with music until I finally turned off my IPod and just focused on how my body felt.  It was amazing.  My pace picked up, I tackled hills with no complaints -- I think I like being in tune with my movements instead of turning on music to distract myself.
Saturday - Crew & 10.5 miles 
Sunday - 10 miles
Monday - Crew & 10 min of running, 20 minutes of Rowing, and 10 minutes on the elliptical.

Food:
Yesterday, I had class until 7:15 -- which, if you know me at all, is way past my dinner time.  I've adapted and started sneaking in nuts and granola into my seminar... however, my loud crunching is starting to distract people from their "deep philosophical thoughts"... yeah, my stomach growling is distracting me too.  suck it up. 

BUT I made plans with my two best lady friends for some delicious Middle Eastern food after class!  They were kind enough to wait for me so we could feast --
Chicken Schwarma plate with Double Salad, fresh pita, and hummus.

Tip? Annie actually taught me this one - whenever there is a meal that offers salad and a choice of ohhhh say rice or fries, ask the waiter if you can order a double salad.  They're always happy to accommodate AND you get a full plate of greens!  Perfect. 

Dessert, of course, was decided as soon as we called our favorite FroYo shop (I have them on speed dial... and no, I'm not kidding)
Their flavors of the day?  Classic Vanilla, Ghirardelli Chocolate, Toffee Mocha, Bananas Foster, and Cranberry Pomegranate

I went with Half Vanilla Half Bananas Foster topped/filled with graham crackers, oreo bits, almonds, and crushed waffle cone

Can you believe that's a mini??
When I first moved to the bay, I made the mistake of ordering a small... I don't think I've ever shaken the memories of failing to finish a frozen yogurt cup :( the horror.

ANYWAYS, with my debate on crew still going on, I'm hoping that I'll be able to post more frequently and NOT wake up at the buttcrack of dawn. 

Have a HAPPY TUESDAY! It's fat tuesday for me - I'm taking a much-needed rest day!

No comments:

Post a Comment