Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Working Out Challenges

Yeah.... 30 degrees and below? Wasn't ready for that one.


I'm kind of obsessive about getting my workout in for the day (there, I admit it).  I like to push myself, I like to sweat, I love the endorphin rush, and, of course, I love my food.

So, I'm determined to keep up my usual running/workout routine while in DC (visiting my parents) for the next 10 days.  PLUS, if you knew my family, you'd understand that eating is like 98 percent of our daily activities, so now probably isn't the best time to start getting lazy.

HOWEVER -- I am from California.  Where there is sunshine.
NOT from DC, where 30 degrees is "warm."
OF COURSE, that didn't stop me from trying to act tough and go for a run yesterday after breakfast because "it's only a little chilly out." bull hockey.


Hello, Casey, you are looking mighty attractive today.  "yes, I know..."

Anyways, after 7.5 miles of windy weather and avoiding ice patches... I could no longer feel my face.  I had to stop at Burger King to call my stepmom (Nelly) to pick me up.  sad.

I learned my lesson.  Cold weather is no joke.

You know what made it all better?
1. SISTER arrived from San Diego (26 hours of separation was getting unbearable)
2. We went to a delicious restaurant and ate way too much -- typical.

Mon Ami Gabi -- an indulgent, French restaurant with locations around the country.

All of us were hungry (read: starving and grumpy) AND my dad has this habit of ordering everything on the menu (just because he has to try it) so... we ate, a lot.

The Bread: each table is greeted with a warm, freshly baked French baguette (with butter!)


The Appetizers: We selected a bunch of tasty apps for the table (family style, of course).  And, keeping with tradition, our list of appetizers kept growing.

Duck Confit with Fingerling Potatoes, Cranberries, and a Red Wine Reduction


Country-style Pate -- amazing!!!! Gotta love liver..


Baked Cheese in a Tomato Sauce, served with Garlic Pesto Bread.  THIS WAS MY FAVORITE OF THE NIGHT -- AND SERIOUSLY ADDICTING!! That baguette that we were greeted with was definitely put to good use...


Mussels in a Garlic, Onion, and White Wine Sauce.  Also amazing for dippage. 



Dad's 4 Mushroom Soup... cause that goofball loves soup.  and mushrooms.


The Entrees:
Yes, we did actually order more food after the appetizers..
My family all suffers from bottom-less stomach syndrome (BLSS) AND eyes-are-too-big-for-the-rest-of-our-bodies-so-we-end-up-ordering-way-too-much syndrome (no acronym for that one...)

Sister ordered the Fish Du Jour with Swiss Chard, Mushrooms, and Fingerling Potatoes 



I ordered the Seared Scallops with Butternut Squash Puree and Roasted Brussel Sprouts without Brown Butter (healthy... ish).


Dad ordered the special of the day: Duck L'Orange with Potato Au Gratin.  His duck was super moist and delicious!  I dominated with potatoes...


And Nelly ordered the Steak Au Poivre with Steak Frites -- which, by the way, are actually addicting.  I'm not kidding on this one.  We got our waiter/waitress (unclear) to bring us another order.


Of course, any sane person would declare themselves stuffed.... But then...
Our waiter/waitress came over and asked if we would like to pre-order the Souffle Du Jour which was a Coffee and Creme Anglaise concoction.  Before the sentence was finished, Sister screamed "yes."



Oh... and I food bullied everyone into ordering a Chocolate Pudding Cake with Salted Caramel 



and an Apple Berry Crumble with Vanilla Ice Cream.



I'd say we did pretty well, don't you think?
We have delicious leftovers too... no dessert leftovers though (big surprise).

Afterwards, we bundled up and headed home.



Nelly and Sister found my hood hilarious.  Apparently it was malfunctioning and I looked like a freak with my fur flaps flying all over the place -- whatever, it was damn cold.

See what I mean about the weather?
I am determined NOT to let it ruin my workout mojo. 
Check out this article on re-buttles and counter arguments for every workout excuse you can think of!  Looks like we're all out of luck....

No comments:

Post a Comment