Monday, January 16, 2012

SUPERB SEAFOOD & Some Enchiladas

OH MY GOODNESS.
I HAD THE TRAVELING DAY FROM HELL.  I started writing this post whilst sitting in the airport (all dandy) then my flight kept getting delayed... and 6 hours later, we finally took off.

My apologies for venting/writing about "old news!" BUT I have some good food to discuss :)

----------------------------------------------
----------------------------------------------

Sadly, yesterday was my last full day in sunny San Diego.

I'm currently blogging from the airport... waiting to head back to school for my Spring semester.  I honestly don't think I remember what it's like to write a paper or study for an exam.  Yeah, things should be interesting.  can't wait.

In honor of my last day, I ate.  Tons of great food.  And ran.  What else would I do?

Breakfast:
Before heading out for my run, I fueled up with some Whole Wheat Blueberry Pancakes!  MY FAVORITE!  They stick with me and keep me fuel for hours.  They're also my go-to breakfast on exam days... screw lucky socks, I have lucky carbs





Workout:
My new best friend/running coach has been on my case about fueling properly for runs - which means hydration and about 100-200 calls every 5 miles - SO, for probably the second time in my life, I decided to take someone's advice and fuel up.

I got a spiffy new fuel belt.  Mine's black and red (for aesthetic, looking-intense purposes).  But it's a 3 bottle belt with a pouch for small food.  The plastic makes it SO easy to slip the bottles in and out while running.  I was worried it would be too hard.
I did a glorious 10 miles and, for the first time, I drank water and ATE (almond joys pieces) while I ran.  Oh my goodness, it makes such a difference.  WOW. My legs felt great and my body was strong the entire run... I'm never going back to "running on empty" again.

Lunch:
I casually mentioned this great seafood restaurant to my grandma over breakfast... and I snagged a great lunch date :)  I have to give a shout-out to my cousin for the BEST Christmas/birthday gifts.  Essentially she dressed me, head to toe, in J.Crew and Madewell.


Let's talk about this amazing seafood..
We went to El Pescadoro's Fish Market in La Jolla. 


It was super fresh, like just been caught... and let me just say, the guys that worked there were all heavenly to look at.  Is that a new rule that I missed?  Must be hot to work with raw fish?

Anyways, instead of going with a seafood salad, Gram and I split the Fish Tacos - grilled, fresh white fish on corn tortillas with all the fixings.



and a Combination Sandwich - dungeness crab and shrimp sandwich on sourdough. 



We divided and conquered.
We both loved that the seafood was 1. fresh and 2. NOT deep-fried.  We were expecting the tacos to be beer battered and the sandwich to be lathered in mayo.  What a pleasant surprise!

I've now fully accepted that I'm a seafood fanatic and I hope to incorporate more into my meals.

Dinner:
After relaxing, watching hours of mindless tv, and munching on some Quinoa Cookies that my gram whipped up - btw amazing - I decided to experiment in the kitchen.

The result?  Vegetarian Enchiladas! 




Ingredients:
- Tortillas of your choice (I used whole wheat 50 calorie tortillas)
- Frozen mixed veggie assortment
- 1 can of black beans
- 1 cup of "meat" (optional)
- Cheese of your choice (I used fat-free mozzarella)
- Sauce:
      - 1 can of stewed tomatoes (or tomato sauce, if you want to make it easier)
      - 1/2 a chopped onion
      - 2 tbsp of cumin
      - 1 tbsp of minced garlic
      - 1 tbsp of cayenne pepper
      - 1 small can of green chiles
      - 2/3 cup of veggie broth
      - salt and pepper


To make: 
- preheat oven to 400
- In a pan, pour in your ingredients for the sauce.  Let simmer for about 5-8 minutes, then divide the mixture in half, placing one part aside for the top of the enchiladas.
- With the remaining mixture still in the pan, add in your frozen veggies and your beans (and any "meat" if you're using it).  Put the lid on it until veggies are tender (about 5 minutes)
- After they're finished, spray a pan with non-stick cooking spray.  Assemble your enchiladas by layering spinach and the filling (plus cheese if you'd like!)
- Place each wrapped enchilada face-down in the pan and then pour the remaining sauce that you set aside on top of the tortillas.  Top with cheese, cover with foil, and bake for about 20 minutes! Uncover and bake for the last 5, if you wish!



Be ready to enjoy a delicious and cheesy mexican feast!
Top with spring onions if you wish!



My plate:
On top of leftover salad. I went back for seconds... duh.


Alright.... Well, I'm finally back in the Bay.
I got to catch up with my friends and I'm slowly starting to adjust to college life again... what do you mean people stay out past 10 pm?

hello, reality.
HAPPY MONDAY!

No comments:

Post a Comment