Sunday, November 20, 2011

BEST MOTIVATION & RUNNING BUDDY!

Sundays are quickly becoming my favorite day of the week! 
Like, as of today... basically.

So, usually Saturdays are my fun day, run days where I try to get in over 13 miles and my Sundays are long recovery runs (like 10 or 11 miles).  Unfortunately, I got assigned the 7:45 am shift at work, which totally threw off my running routine! But have no fear, I've found a solution.

First of all.... my new favorite person (the old man who brings lunch for all the employees at the gym every single Sunday) brought us a yummy packed lunch! Which makes the Sunday shift worth it!

Avocado and spring onion with swiss cheese on homemade herb bread, a vegan molasses ginger cookie, AND a chocolate chunk cookie!!!


Talk about my lucky day.  This guys obviously stalks me and knows my obsession with chocolate chip cookies... it's cool, I'm not weirded out.  Note to the rest of my stalkers out there: This old man is setting the bar high for you!

Anyways, I had to walk home in the pouring rain :(
But I stole an umbrella from the lost & found so my sandwich wouldn't get wet!  I would have shielded it with my body but I didn't want to risk it...

I snuggled up with my sack lunch and an episode of 90210, took a nap, and then decided to text my friend (exercise enthusiast and food fanatic) Lee, to see if I could sucker him into a late afternoon/night run -- I figured he would make me get off my ass and get my sweat onnnn...

I ran the first 7 miles solo, but it was gorgeous!  And I tried to snap pictures as I was running.



I was that perfect running weather at that perfect time of day -- post rain, wet ground, crunchy leaves, right as the sun was going down!  Gorgeous.  It was freezing though... so I almost lost a few toes, a finger, and my nose to frost bite.

I met up with Lee after mile 7 and told him we basically had to run somewhere and eat. tons. of. food.  I was hungry! And cold!  So, we set out to run an easy 4 miles before stopping at his car and driving to my favorite vegan restaurant.  He's a sport.  He understands my never-ending stomach needs.

We walked into the restaurant dressed like this:


We kept talking about what a good choice it was going to a vegan restaurant.. because we felt like they would be more understanding and less judgy about our sweaty and disheveled appearances.

Those vegans... always a nice and friendly bunch :)


First of all, we decided to order the I Am Cool -- a mint chocolate chip vegan milkshake with Vitamineral Green and raw cacao nibs.  SO GOOOOOD!  It actually tasted like a mint chocolate chip milkshake... Lee was impressed.


For our post-run munchies, we decided to go with 3 entrees to split:

I Am Trusting -- vegan corn tamal stuffed with squash and served with spicy black beans and a mexican cole slaw.  I get this dish every time I go to Cafe Gratitude... and it's always a favorite.


I Am Extraordinary -- Vegan BLT with maple coconut bacon, romaine lettuce, tomatoes, and avocado.  Served with a spicy chipotle aioli on a whole wheat organic bun


I Am Hearty -- A raw deep-dish pizza with sun-dried tomato marinara, pesto, olive tapenade, Brazil nut Parmesan and ricotta cheese on a live onion sunflower pizza crust. I've wanted to try this for awhile and I'm so glad I did!! It was surprisingly delicious.



Between the three entrees, Lee and I had just enough to put a dent in our hunger :)  We finished our meal in record timing, mostly because we inhaled it (without chewing).  I don't think I could have chosen a "favorite" of the night!  Every dish was unique.

I had to make up a story about having a little child with us who kept making a mess and dropping silverware and chunks of food on the ground, the table... my lap.  I got too excited to focus on using my table manners.

For dessert we went with two slices of raw heaven:

I Am Bliss  -- a raw chocolate cream pie on a chopped coconut and almond crust. SO GOOD.  I had to fight lee for the crust...


and.... my lucky day.... RAW CARROT CAKE! It was so amazing.  I don't know what the heck they put in these desserts, but it must be something drug related and highly addictive.


We left with full bellies and smiling faces -- it was Lee's first time trying out an all vegan place for dinner and he loved it!   After dinner, we made a few necessary pit stops to get coffee and pastries (which went undocumented).

As you can tell... Sundays are the new Fridays.

This will be my usual weekend routine from now on. Gorgeous run followed by delicious food with great company?  Yes, please!

Hope you all had an amazing weekend!
IT'S ALMOST THANKSGIVING!!!! And I'm already feeling thankful!

No comments:

Post a Comment