Sunday, November 6, 2011

Rough Running & Mini-Pumpkin Pies!

Today, I decided not to be lazy for once.

When I'm back home, I have this weird habit of sleeping on the couch in the living room, instead of my own bedroom (with a bed...).  If it counts for anything, our living room has a way bigger television AND a super comfy couch -- so I'm not that weird.

Anyways, one of the perks about sleeping in the living room is that whenever somebody gets up, I don't really have a choice but to get up too (the donut-flavored coffee helps things too). 

So, when my mom decided not to take advantage of the extra hour of sleep, I didn't either.

After working on not-so-fun things (like research papers about torture..) we decided to lace up our sneaks and head to one of my favorite running spots in SD: Lake Miramar.


It was colder than you could imagine, but after about 10 minutes the sweat started to pour, so I made my mom carry my long sleeve shirt with her (she was roller blading) while I looked like a loser rocking grandma shorts and a tiger print bra... attractive, I know.

I felt every. single. step. of this run. All 10.16 miles.
But, I told myself I wouldn't stop until I found my mom (who speeded ahead of me)... and of course the crazy woman did two laps soooo that meant I did too.

This is what made me keep going:


Whenever I catch myself playing that "should I just stop and walk?" game, I think of how many miles I already got under my belt and I realize it's not worth it to just up-and-quit.

Anyways, after our running activities, I was hungry.

And all I wanted was salt + sweet potatoes + salad.  And rice pudding (obviously).
So I sauteed last night's roasted veggies, 1/3 of a bison filet, and some sweet potatoes and threw it all on top of a huge bed of chopped Romaine.  My dressing of choice?  Steak sauce and ketchup.

My mom was repulsed.  I thought it was an amazing decision on my part.


I also made my mom buy some rice pudding, to fuel my latest addiction.
After my meal and another viewing of crazy, stupid, love .... it was time to bake.

Mini-Pumpkin Pies:
I stole the brilliant idea from The Dashing Dish, but made a few tweaks.


Ingredients:
- 3 wanton wrappers (which I cut into 4 pieces each)
- 1/2 cup of pumpkin puree
- 1/2 cup of egg beaters
- 1 cup of splenda
- 1 tsp of pumpkin pie spice
- Cinnamon graham crackers

To make: preheat the oven to 375 and grease a muffin pan with non-stick spray.  Mix together your pumpkin, egg beaters, splenda, and pumpkin pie spice until smooth.  Put the wonton wrappers into the muffin tins and spoon in the pumpkin pie filling.  Crumble cinnamon graham crackers on top and bake for about 12-15 minutes.



Top with whipped cream and cinnamon - if you wish - and enjoy immensely!
These pumpkin pies satisfy any craving for homemade pie AND they're ultra low in calories -- we're talking 30 calories each. So "indulge" if you'd like!

Today is my last day in SD...  

I love my family.

No comments:

Post a Comment