Tuesday, July 5, 2011

DETOX TIME

STOP: IF YOU'RE ONE OF THOSE READERS WHO SKIP OVER THE WORDS & RIGHT TO THE PICTURES, I DEMAND YOU SCROLL TO THE BOTTOM AND READ MY EPIPHANY-CONTAINING STATEMENT.  IF YOU DO, I GUARANTEE IT WILL BE EYE OPENING.

Detox Diet!
Alright, before you go freaking out about anything drastic I may be attempting... let me preface this post by answering your inevitable questions: No, this doesn't involve any combination of lemon or cayenne pepper (gross).  Yes, I'll be getting all the calories and nutrients my body needs.  No, this isn't some crazy restrictive form of self-deprivation.

Basically, I just need to get my body off of the sugar-high-roller-coster it's been on the past weekend few weeks.  So, here's the plan:
- No added sugars (yes, that means you, deep fried snickers)
- No refined grains or "bad carbs"
- No meat, just seafood
- Extra veggies & fruit - minus the starchies (sorry taters, you'll be missed)
- Exercise 45-60 minutes a day (with a rest day, duh)
- Water Water Water, we honestly don't drink enough!

See?  It's basically a healthy diet.  Low fat, balanced protein & good card, no sugar! 

So how did this change my menu for the day:

Breakfast was my go-to - blueberry pie never-ending oatmeal!  Oh, how I've missed you.
After breakfast I raided my fridge to try to come up with a meal, of any sort.  I realized that since I got back last night, there was absolutely nothing in my fridge.  We're talking barren here.

I ended up making a Tuna salad salad :)  also known as tuna salad on top of romaine lettuce:

Ingredients: 1 can of white albacore tuna (drained), 1 tbsp of miracle whip, romaine lettuce, lemon juice, garlic salt and pepper.

It was actually delicious.  And on the side I had some Yogi Blueberry Crisp Granola and a ripe mango! yummmers? yes, I think so.

I got hungry about 3 hours later and gobbled up a fuji apple and one of my mom's medifast meals: chocolate brownie! I love the idea of medifast (low-cal, high protein, 100 calorie meals every 3 hours) but what I really love about this diet plan... is the food.  It's actually really delicious.  Their bars, shakes, brownies and pancakes are YUM x 10.  Just ask the bean lady - she's a believer.

After hitting the gym right after m 9-5 job, I stopped by our local grocer to get some fresh produce and brown rice to mix up a quick dinner before heading back to the gym for work.

Taco Beans, Brown Rice, and Lemon & Garlic Salt Veggie Stir Fry
Ingredients: 1/2 cup of pinto beans (washed and drained), instant brown rice (1/2 cup), 1/2 a huge green pepper, tons of button mushrooms, broccoli. Add ins: salsa for some spicy flavor!


It was super filling and pretty damn delicious for a 5 minute meal :)  Um, can I just point out the crazy amount of fiber that I've been consuming today?  That topic shall be revisited in a bit... be prepared.

For a quick no-sugar-added dessert: green monster smoothie in a bowl

Ingredients:
- 1 scoop of chocolate protein powder (I used medifast dutch chocolate)
- optional: unsweetened cocoa powder
- huge handful of washed spinach
- about 6 ice cubes
- a pinch of xanthan gum for thickness

I topped mine off with granola :)
I was definitely satisfied as I headed back to work for a few hours...
Until I got hungry again and made some oatmeal!

I luuuuhhh me some detox diet food.  I'm starting to feel like a semi-normal human being.

Back to my fiber comment:
I've gone and had myself an epiphany.
You know when toddlers can't communicate, so they just cry and you have to guess what they want?  Our bodies are like toddlers!  When they're confused, they like to toot it out.  It's like a body's way of saying, "dude, I don't know what's going on here, but this ain't what I'm used to so I will toot to get your attention."  It could be good, it could be bad (like my body after ice cream), but it's definitely out of the ordinary.  Anyone agree?

Alright guys, I'm off to prepare a bit for tomorrow then... SLEEP!!
good thing I ended on the lovely note.  fiber. it does the body good.


Questions of the day:
- Any good recipe ideas for no-sugar-added, no bad carb snacks & desserts?  My mom sent me a list of her favorite 100 calorie snack ideas, but I'm still in need of some desserts!
- Do you believe in cleansing or detoxing after a crazy binge?

No comments:

Post a Comment