Saturday, July 9, 2011

Satisficing my cravings !

I'm a genius. Honestly.

.... Oh, sorry, am I supposed to elaborate on that?  :) Well I've been having some weird cravings since I've started this mini-detox.  My body wants carbs and meat.  Not reallllyyyy missing the sugar, but definitely missing the satisfaction you get from eating a huge plate of meat and taters!  Unfortunately, I don't think I could forgive myself if I downed a whole plate of artery-clogging, cholesterol-filled yumminess.

So, I did what I like to call "satisficing."  You may have heard this term come up in the past - it was actually one of my terms from a political science class I took last semester.  Basically, it means working under "constrained circumstances" and coming up with a satisfying solution.

The Bulgur Pasta Bowl and the In-N-Out Animal Style Hamburger Salad were born.


Bulgur Pasta Bowl:
Ingredients
- about 1/3 cup of cooked bulgur
- diced onion
- baby bella mushrooms
- minced garlic
- 2 handfuls of washed spinach
- 1 package of Shiritaki noodles
(soy noodles about 40 cals per pack)
- 1/4 cup of tomato sauce

Directions:
- Wash and drain the noodles really well and place them in a microwave-safe dish.  Microwave for a minute, then add the tomato/pasta sauce and microwave for another minute.  While this is heating up, spray a saute pan with non-stick cooking spray and add in the minced garlic, the onions and the mushrooms (cover with a lid to speed up the mushrooooms!).  Once this is done, turn off the heat and place the washed spinach in the pan to steam them quickly.  Take the pasta out of the microwave and put them on a play, layer the spinach, and layer the bulgur on top of it all - DELISH! and this tops out at a maxxxx 250 calories - max.


I ate this for lunch yesterday :) along with some Plain Non-Fat Chobani yogurt and fruit.


In-N-Out Animal Style Hamburger Salad:
Ingredients:
- 2/3 cup of meat crumbles (I use frozen Morningstar Soy Crumbles but you can use meat too)
- Romaine lettuce
- Chopped Onion
- about 1 tbls of Miracle Whip
- about 1/2 tbls of ketchup
- about 1/2 tbls of mustard
- add water for desired thickness/thinness of dressing

- Throw the meat crumbles in the microwave to heat up (mine take 60 seconds).  Wash and chop your salad and onions and throw those into a bowl.  Mix together the Miracle Whip, ketchup and mustard then add water until you get a consistency that resembles salad dressing.  Toss your salad and add in the meat crumbles.... enjoy.


It literally tasted like a hamburger. On a salad.  Ingenious!!!
I wonder what else I can make into a salad... Pizza?  Alfredo? HMMMM

So, today I made a discovery at the local flea/farmers' market: roasted veggie chips. I ate the whole bag and went back for seconds.




loveeeeeee veggie chips!

Thought I'd leave you with my no-sugar-added FroYo pic from last night :) mines the fudgesickle on the left... the right is some craziness my friend enjoyed
Update yaaa later !

No comments:

Post a Comment