Saturday, July 9, 2011

Grrr.... not Grrreat

So, remember our Friday Night Foodie tradition?  Well, Friday not only came early this week, it came twice!! Crazy, I know.  Someone really needs to get this whole weekday confusion figured out but hey, if there are two Fridays in a week, who am I to complain.

Well, in keeping with tradition (cause you just can't go breaking tradition), my roommate, my fellow foodie friend and I headed to this Brazilian cafe that's been rumored to have the best Tri-tip in the Bay area.  I've been dying to go - I've heard amazing things.

Our dinner started off innocently enough:

Appetizer:
Pão de Queijo - Brazilian cheese balls served with a cilantro-garlic dipping sauce.  


Entree: 
Brazilian Veggie Rice Bowl - Broccoli, carrots, corn, olives, pineapple, jalapenos, tomatoes and grilled onions served with rice with hummus and sliced bread. 

Before I was disappointed....



Okay, it looks delicious and innocent enough. right?  Who can go wrong with a veggie bowl?? APPARENTLY, the Brazilians have found a way to ruin it:  dousing it in fattening ranch dressing and not telling you what it is until AFTER the meal.  The bowl's flavor was a mixture a sweet and spicy (jalepenos and pineapple will do that) but really creamy.  It got old pretty quick.  AND THEN I asked the waitress what the sauce was and how they got it so creamy... she said it was ranch dressing.  NOWHERE was that posted on the menu.  NOBODY TOLD ME.  and I'm pissed.  

Someone please tell me what about ranch dressing qualifies it as a Brazilian delicacy?  Grrr....

In an effort to quell my anger and my not-as-strong-but-still-there sweet tooth, I made the crew stop for some frozen yogurt :) non-fat no-sugar-added strawberry froyo with blueberries and peanuts :)  See?  The smiley faces are coming back... dessert really is good for you. 

OH - and I made the best semi-vegan no-sugar-added donuts.  Sister, if you are reading this, I got you a donut pan, but I decided to try it out for you... just in case there was some defect.  duh. 

Now, these don't look delicious but they were I PROMISE.  Notice the were is past tense, meaning there are none left.  Good thing they're guilt free :) see? there's that smile again. 


Guilt-Free Baked Doughnuts
Recipe: Adapted from Chocolate-Covered Katie's recipe for cake batter doughnuts
Ingredients:
- 1 cup of flour (I used a wheat flour)
- 2/3 cup non-dairy milk (I used almond milk)
- 1/3 cup sugar (I used Splenda)
- 1/2 tsp apple-cider vinegar (I used regular white vinegar because that's all I had)
- 1 and 1/2 tsp of egg whites
- 3 tbsp of oil or pre-melted margarine
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract

Directions:  Mix your dry ingredients together and then mix the wet ingredients in a seperate bowl except the vinegar.  Add the vinegar last and then immediately mix your wet and dry ingredients together :)  Place in a baking pan coated with non-stick cooking spray - orrrr a doughnut pan! Baked for 12-15 minutes (mine were undercooked and doughy but I obviously didn't have a problem with that).  For a glaze, I melted a banana (microwave for 15 seconds, mash and microwave for another 15), add in splenda and some non-fat milk.  DELICIOUSNESS. and healthy :)

Hmm... my mood has already started to improve after reflecting on my dessert options.  If only I didn't finish all the doughnuts.  I guess I'll have to make up another batch (they're so easy... okay, you've convinced me)  LATER GUYS!

1 comment: