Monday, August 1, 2011

Croatian Feast

Today... was a foodie day.
You know it's going to be a good day when breakfast consists of french toast and fresh bacon.

Sister and I struggled through a gruesome five miler around the mountain (our legs were jello.. ) and then came home to a beautiful view: Dad manning the stove, frying up bacon and making french toast!

We both ate our weight in delicious french toast - I topped mine with jam and sugar :)



We headed down to the market to refill our supply of figs (see earlier post), grab some coke zero from the grocery store, buy some corn flakes (for our oatmeal), andddd add some more jems to our cookie collection!  I'll have to take a picture for you tomorrow...

We came back for lunch -- leftover pizza from last night & sauteed swish chard, garlic, and bacon.
I didn't take a picture of that either :( sorry

BUT I did remember to snap pictures of our Croatian feast.  My stepmom's cousin and his son came to visit, so we made reservations at this crazy popular pizza place for dinner!  WE WERE NOT DISAPPOINTED.  It was everything you could hope for in a meal:

Appetizers included the vegetarian plate - risotto, Blitva, zucchini, eggplant, and mushroom
and this amazing bread that they make using their pizza dough - I had a billion pieces with "spicy" cheese, which basically just means sharp cheddar-like cheese.
 

 Entrees - Fish plate for two.  This included a grilled white fish, steamed shrimp, grilled squid, mussels, clams and pommes frites :)  I tried a little bit of everything, cause I'm brave.


Sister and I split the Risotto with scampi and shells:  SO CREAMY

Uncle Miki had this gnocchi and beef thing, which was delicious.  He gave me a generous portion, for the sake of taste testing :) 

We ordered two pizzas for the table:
- The village pizza - ham, pepperoni, sausage, sauerkraut, mozerella
 - The waiter's pizza - pepperoni, ham, sausage, onion, peppers, and chili

We were truly un-european, when we had to request "doggy bags" for the leftover food.  We actually had to get the cousins to help us translate, because requesting to-go bags is really uncommon...

But obviously, we had to save room for this jewel:
Crepes filled with ice cream and topped with whipped cream!


Yes, I know you're surprised that I finished the entire thing, plus helped myself to the cousins crepes (which they needed help finishing)

I'll probably have a few more figs before bedtime :) you already know how I feel about those babies
Goodnight! We're off to the Island of Hvar tomorrow for an all-day excursion

No comments:

Post a Comment