Monday, October 10, 2011

Chicken Soup for the Soul

So... all last week, we were plagued with cold and dreary weather.

I warned my parents, I told them to bring their rain coats and their sweat pants!  Yet, as soon as they arrived, the clouds parted and the sun came out.  It didn't leave the entire they were here!  We really lucked out...

Of course, the morning they leave, the rain started to fall.

Specifically, two minutes into my run.  Ehhhh, it could have been worse, right?

I woke up craving some healthy food after a weekend full of craziness!

Basic oats. Oatmeal with bananas, raw walnuts, and fresh blueberries.



Honestly, does it get any better than your classic bowl of oatmeal?  It makes me feel like I'm starting my day (and week - happy Monday!) off on the right foot!

While I was waiting for my food to digest, I remember the goody my dad bought me yesterday..

MY OWN CROCKPOT!!

Which, of course, meant I had to break it out and take it for a spin :) What's better on a cold & rainy day than some home made chicken soup!

Into the pot: two chicken breasts, 3/4 of a sweet potato, 3/4 of a chopped yellow onion, baby carrots, water, and better-than-bouillon chicken flavoring.  Keepin' in simple, stupid.


I set that baby on low and forgot about it! I can't believe I waited this long to invest in such a time saver! crazy.

I headed out on a quick 5.7 mile run - in the rain - before hitting up my favorite Abs and Back class!

By the time I got back, I was hankering for some salad... and some delicious leftovers.
My parents were joking that I had enough food to last me a few months -- and I think I just proved them wrong.  I heated up all the leftover Bumese food (that wasn't consumed by my roommate) and piled it on top of some chopped lettuce:

Dump Salad. featuring: sweet and spicy mango tofu, pumpkin curry shrimp, chili lamb, and a few bites of garlic noodles.  It didn't look pretty, but it tasted damn good.


Who needs salad dressing when you have bomb leftovers?
Perfect salad topper!

I spent the day alternating between class, nap time, studying, & snacking.
Plus, hiding from the rain....

I arrived back to my apartment - after a cold and wet walk back from class - and immediately started salivating at the smell of delicious, homemade chicken soup!

Homemade Crockpot Chicken Soup.




Ingredients:
- 2 chicken breasts
- 1 chopped sweet potato
- 1 chopped yellow onion
- handful of baby carrots (or whatever you have)
- 1 tbsp of better than bouillon chicken flavoring
- water
- salt and pepper
- 1 1/2 tsp of lemon juice
- opt: 1/2 tsp of garlic chili paste (or red pepper flakes).

Toss it all into the crockpot and put it on low for at least 5-6 hours!

Enjoy your soup and your dreary weather (of course, I'd enjoy this soup in the middle of summer too... I'm weird like that)

Off to a study group! EXAM TOMORROW!

No comments:

Post a Comment