Saturday, October 8, 2011

Eating Our Way Through Tiburon & Sausalito

Today was gorgeous.

I was blessed with beautiful views & some beautiful people -- my parents!

In case you missed out on their visit so far...
- Burma SuperSTAR
- Saul's Deli & Tons of Sweets
- La Med dinner
 

After my morning run and a delicious bowl of oatmeal, we hopped into the car and headed into Marin County to visit the cute, seaside town of Tiburon - just North of San Francisco.

The views on the drive were picture perfect and we might have pulled the whole "touristy" thing and stopped the car to take pictures...

After exploring the town and walking along the marina for a bit, our stomachs were telling us it's feeding time! We decided to go to Sam's which was this cute bar and restaurant right on the water!

There were seagulls, the scent of salt water, and plenty of sunshine... the only thing that beat the view was the delicious food! 

I decided on An Argula salad topped with candied walnuts, apple slices, blue cheese crumbles and a nice citrus vinaigrette on the side. 
 

I also got the Dungenese Crab Cakes which came with an amazing homemade tartar sauce and a simple side salad. The crab cakes + tartar sauce were perfect. I threw them on top of the argula salad and went to town!


My dad got the North Eastern Bowl of Clam Chowder which was creamy and filled with little bites of veggies and clams. Mmmm... Obviously I stole a bite or two :)


He also got the Seared Ahi Tuna sandwich on Foccacia Bread with a garlic aioli and a side salad -- snuck a bite of this bad boy and thoroughly enjoyed it! The garlic aioli and the tuna went together perfectly! 

Nelly, my stepmom, finally satisfied her burger craving and got an Angus burger with cheddar cheese and onions on a sourdough bread bun with a side of steak fries! Mmmmm... From what I hear, it was the perfect burger.  I did sneak a fry or two!


We spent the rest of the afternoon strolling around Tiburon and browsed in the boutiques...
by "browsed" I mean - we shopped till we dropped.

Nelly walked away with some great tops and a one-of-a-kind, designer bag!  I snagged a super trendy black coat with all these funky zippers -- I kind of fell in love with it!

We headed back home for a quick nap.
And then we headed back out to Sausalito to walk around and grab dinner :)



This seaside town was similar to Tiburon, but way swankier!  It's known for having a very "high income" population -- which meant tons of cute boutiques and galleries for window shopping.

We walked by the water and soaked in the sights before heading to Poggio's - an Italian restaurant that had some great reviews.


Right after being seated, we were delivered a bowl of warm, doughy bread and fresh butter. There were a variety, so I obviously had to try them all -- Sesame seed bun, a sourdough bun, and a rosemary and herb bun.  They were hot out of the over... and I was in carb heaven.


We were having trouble deciding on what to order because the menu had so many promising dishes! We weren't expecting such an incredible selection.

APPETIZERS:

Nelly got the Summer Beans tossed in a very light garlic butter,  I managed to grab a bite or two and I think I'll be replicating the garlic and butter combo with fresh veggies in the future... mmm!


Dad and I split the Duck Confit Salad with Pomegranate Seeds, Roasted Chick Peas, Nuts, Honey Crisp Apple Slices, and a light Balsamic Vinaigrette. Wow. Wow... the flavors were incredible.  The duck and the tart apples were a nice contrast to the sweet pomegranate seeds.  I probably won't be making Duck Confit in the future, but a girl can dream.


ENTREES

Once again, we had issues deciding on just one dish so Dad and I went splitsies.

Nelly decided to get the Oven-baked Swordfish with tossed salad, radicchio, artichoke hearts, and an olive tapenade.  I was quite a fan, judging from the bite I had.  Usually I'm not a swordfish fan, but this was cooked to perfection - not dry at all and full of flavor!


Dad and I decided to split the Papparadelle - hand made pasta tossed in a red wine and wild boar stew.  Wowww! One of the best meals I've had in awhile... the boar wasn't "game-y" at all and it totally melted in your mouth.  It reminded me of the beef stroganoff we had in Frankfurt this summer. 


We also got a Margarita Pizza with Pancetta -- thin crust with a super light tomato sauce, chunks of fresh mozzarella cheese, thinly sliced pancettam and fresh basil leaves.  Ahhh... ahh. ahh.  Melty cheese on top of carbs?  I'm game any day of the week. We ended up taking back leftovers, which were thoroughly enjoyed by Lisa and Henry.
 

We left the restaurant without dessert.

I know.

But don't worry, it's only because I had my eye on this Sausalito hot spot for dessert :)
Before I show you what I got, check out this gorgeous view of the bay. I forget how much I love it up here!! Sorry SoCal, but NorCal is winning over my heart.


Lappert's Ice Cream. 
 

I had a scoop (yes, that is ONE scoop) of their famous Kalui Pie Ice Cream in a waffle cone -- coffee ice cream with chocolate fudge swirled in, bits of walnuts, shredded coconut, and chocolate morsels.  Wow.  I was going to "eat a few bites and toss it" but, let's get real... I finished that baby and enjoyed every. single. bite.


I'd definitely say I had another successful day with my parents!

It's pretty funny.... everyone keeps asking me how their trip is going and all I can manage to say is "food. full. too much eating" and they have no idea what I'm talking about.

I don't think I'll ever have to worry about starving to death in the near future, because I'm armed with enough food in my belly and enough leftovers in my fridge to last a lifetime.

I hope your weekend is going great!

No comments:

Post a Comment