Monday, October 3, 2011

Fried Rice and FroYo!

I can't believe I've waited this long to try such a delicious and simple meal:
I'm talking about you, Quinoa, love of my life and future father of my children (just go with it... ask questions later).

For those of you just as unfamiliar with this "grain" as I was - up until like 5 minutes ago - let me give you a brief run-down so you can run to the store and make this for your next meal!

Quinoa -- is actually a "pseudograin" that has gained hugeee popularity in recent years, due to it's amazing nutrition stats: essential amino acids, phosphorus, iron, calcium, anyone??  You actually prepare it very similar to other grains (like rice and bulgur wheat) and you'll see many substitutions of quinoa in place of these grains! To all you carb-conscious and gluten-free folks -- say hello to your new best friend!

I give you:

Quinoa Fried Rice!
 



Ahhh... I wish I didn't eat so fast... the flavor of this dish was crazy good!

I wasn't quite sure how to go about preparing this alien "quinoa" grain-but-not-a-grain thing, so I followed the simple instructions on the back of the package and improvised the rest.  Good thing it turned out so great, otherwise I probably wouldn't go near it again... 

Ingredients:
- 1 serving of quinoa (mine was 1/3 a cup, some are 1/4)
- correct water ratio (I used a little over a cup of water!)
- better-than-bouillon cube or powder (or you can just use chicken broth)
- chopped mushrooms
- 2/3 cup of meatless crumbles (you can use any meat you'd like)
- 1/4 cup of egg beaters
- 1/2 chopped yellow onion
- 1 cup of veggies (I used broccoli and peas)
- salt, pepper, 1 tbsp of low sodium soy sauce

Instructions: In a large skillet/wok/pan, saute your onion and mushrooms.  Once browned, all in your water with bouillon (or your chicken broth) and add in your quinoa.  Cover and let simmer for about 12-15 minutes (until the quinoa is translucent). Add in your veggies and your choice of meat.  Scoop the mixture to one side of your pan and poor in your egg beaters (or egg) on to the pan and scramble.  Mix it all together, add in your salt, pepper, and soy sauce to taste!! Easy and delicious.

I'm not kidding, guys, please try this dish -- it was amazing! You can expect to see the same meal, and countless other quinoa variations, in the future!

After about 15 minutes (I neeeeed to satisfy my sweettooth immediately after dinner) I met up with these pretty ladies for some frozen yogurt.

You know you're dedicated froyo connoisseurs when you venture out in the rain to eat something that will only make you colder. 



Frozen Yogurt warms the soul.... not so much that hands and/or body....

Creme brulee and Caramel Pecan Cheesecake FroYo with oreos, waffle cone, and graham crackers mixed in!! 
  

You know if someone is your best friend if they ask to stop at a convenience store to pick up coconut m&ms to put on top of frozen yogurt.... OH MY GOOOOODNESS.


Pure genius. 
I dare someone to try this combination and not fall in love... it's impossible.

Looks like I'll be buying candy to bring along on all my froyo adventures from now on.  Thanks, Annie -- my body is gunnaaa love you for that.

Anyways, off to study!!
Annie and Lisa just brewed up some pumpkin spice coffee, which we discovered tastes amazing when combined with hot chocolate and milk.... Excuse me while I go enjoy my heavenly beverage!

Hope your Monday was a rainy one :)

No comments:

Post a Comment