Saturday, September 17, 2011

Miles & Mexican FOoOoOD!

Okay, you're right, the title was a bit obnoxious, but I literally JUST finished eating my Mexican feast and I'm still a little high off of the guacamole...

Today was a great day.

After waking up (at 9!) with a severe sugar hangover -- let's not even get into details, because they would probably scare you -- I needed some recovery food.

I literally googled "what to do if you over indulge" and I spent a few minutes reading up on the extensive literature that covered the topic (apparently a lot of over-eaters out there like to talk about their "I feel so guilty I broke my diet" experiences...)  According to the articles, there are certain steps that NEED TO BE FOLLOWED -- or else.

Step one: return to normal eating habits

Okay, easy enough,
So, if you had to guess what I had for breakfast...


Today's mixture was of the Cinnamon and Spice variety and I mixed in raisins and candied walnuts.. my tummy was thankful to see an old friend (as opposed to the cake, ice cream, and cookies it encountered at midnight - after work.... told you I have a sugar hangover).


Ps. my friend made a comment that my blog has too many oatmeal pictures....
HELLO - OATSandnanners.. it could probably be named "FroYo and Nothing Else Matters" but it wasn't as catchy.

Step 2: return to normal exercise habits.

Okay, soooo since my ankle was feeling amazing... and since these over-eating, article-writers seemed to know what they were talking about.... I went for a run.



It was glorious.  Sweaty -- and sensational!!!  I ended up doing an easy 6.5 miles... I say easy because: my ankle was taking it like a champ, it was gorgeous outside so I thoroughly enjoyed every minute, and my legs were rested and ready to roll.

I got back around 11:34 and I had to meet up with Annie and Lisa at 12:10 for some serious grocery shopping (I'd like to say I can blame my oatmeal consumption on the fact that my grocery supplies are dwindling... but that would be a dirty lie).

After approximately 2 minutes in the shower...
I came out and heated up a 1/4 of my last sweet potato, 1/2 cup of black beans, and chopped some romaine lettuce, which I covered in Trader Joe's Pear Champagne Vinaigrette.... heaven. Oh, and I added feta feta feat galore.



I made it out the door with a full tummy and some honey-drizzled cinnamon bread for dessert :)

I broke the bank at the grocery store (story of my life), had to run with 7 bags of groceries BACK to my apartment  (1.5 miles away), and made it to work by 2 o'clock!!

----------------------------------------------
----------------------------------------------

I was craving Mexican food in a bad way.
I wanted the classics:
- Tamales, enchiladas, carne asada fries, chips and guac, tostadas... you know how it goes.

However, I didn't want to be weighed down by sat fats and heavy beans & rice dishes... So, I decided to healthify my Mexican dinner dish!

Say hello to my Vegetarian Mexican Fiesta 
 


Ingredients:
- 3 corn tortillas (I use the mission brand -- 80 cals for 2 tortillas)
- 2/3 cup of MorningStar soy crumbles (80 calories)
- Chopped cauliflower florets (frozen!)
- about 1/3 cup of tomato sauce
- taco seasoning
- 1/2 cup of black beans
- guacamole
- shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese.

Instructions: chop your cauliflower and mix together your soy crumbles, cauliflower, tomato sauce, and taco seasoning on the stove. While this is heating up, microwave your black beans and your corn tortillas (very briefly!).  Layer the tortillas, the cauliflower/meat stuffing, the beans, the cheese, and the guacamole! how easy is that?!
 

I happen to loveee cheese, so I added some american Kraft singles and some extra salsa to finish it up :)  I finished this entire plate... and I'm stuffed to the brim.


AHHHHHH!

TIP:
I love using veggies to "beef up" my dishes -- like, instead of using 3 cups of meat crumbles, I mixed cauliflower and the soy crumbles.  Cauliflower is a great veggie that adapts to the flavors around it! 

I have crazy Saturday night plans to finally see The Contagion with Jenny, Annie, and Lisa!!
I bought kettle corn mini bags and hot chocolate at the store -- just so I can illegally sneak them into the movie theater with me.  SO READY!

Hope your weekend is going as great as mine!

No comments:

Post a Comment