Sunday, September 18, 2011

Summer Weather & Fall Food! No Complaints!

It's a gorgeous Sunday afternoon and I've never been happier to be a resident of the Bay AREA!!

Technically, we should be transitioning into fall, which means great things like oatmeal every meal of every day & pumpkin spice lattes --- but it can also mean rainy weather and... finals season.

Thankfullllyy, the weather up here is making it feel like summer (it's a warm and sunny 75 degrees!) but I get to eat like its FALL (which means massive quantities of comfort food, as one must prepare for hibernation in the winter season).

Last night, I packed up a mini-bag of kettle corn and some hot chocolate and headed out to see The Contagion with Jenny!


Although the movie was interesting... it wasn't as good as I had expected.  I wanted to see a bio-terrorism, political thriller-type of movie, but it ended up just being about a disease?  Ehh.
I almost enjoyed the goodies I brought more than the film.  Like that's not a surprise.

-----------------------------------------
-----------------------------------------

I woke up with one thing on my mind.  Okay, two things:
1. I'm still tired and I want to go back to sleep
2. Peaches and cream oatmeal!

Sundays just scream sleep in and be lazy!  But when you have a million things to do (like problem sets and laundry) AND when you have an amazing breakfast to look forward to, it's hard to fall back asleep....

Peaches and cream oatmeal with blueberries and candied walnuts.



The transition to the oats & cream flavors = fall for me.  Usually, I make my own oats from scratch... but you really can't beat the flavored pre-measured packets of goodness.... my cinnamon and spice just doesn't measure up!

I literally sat on my ass watching Chopped on the Food Network for an hour before deciding I needed to go running.  I say need to go running because it usually wakes me up and gives me tons of energy for the rest of my day -- screw lazy Sunday mornings!

I laced up my bright pink Nike's and headed out for some hilly adventures.  I kept it to 4.5 miles because I don't want to shock my ankle into misbehaving again.... but it was still a great run.

I came back and spent another long 3 minutes in the shower before jumping out to make lunch :)
After grocery shopping yesterday, I've been soooo excited for each meal, thanks to a fully stocked fridge & an overflowing pantry.

I went out of my usual "eat from a huge bowl with a spoon" routine, and made myself one of the best sandwiches -- ever.

Sara Lee's Honey Wheat Bread topped with provolone cheese, tomatoes, and lettuce.  One side had red pepper hummus & the other side had guacamole....
Sandwiches, cheese... where have you been my whole life?!  WHY have I neglected you?



This will most likely be my breakfast, lunch, and dinner for the next 4 days... until I run out of ingredients.  I seriously cannnot believe I never make sandwiches.

As excited as I am about bread, cheese, and toppings.... I'm 100000 times more excited about my post-lunch sweet treat:

Guilt-free Apple Crisp for the Lazy Girl



Ingredients:
- 1/2 to a whole apple (I used a half because I had it in my fridge)
- 1/4 cup of oats
- 2 tbsp of unsweetened apple sauce
- 1 packet of sweetener, cinnamon, honey (opt).

Directions: slice your apple into chunks and sprinkle with half a packet of sweetener and some cinnamon.  In a separate bowl, combine the oats, the applesauce, the rest of your sweetener, and some cinnamon.  Place the apples in a baking sheet (or on tin foil if you're using a convection oven) and top with your oatmeal mixture.  Bake for 10-15 minutes, drizzle with honey, add some nuts & enjoy!

Okay....
Don't judge me for this.  But it may or may not be laundry day for a poor college student who forgot to get enough quarters to work the washer AND dryer.


And those may or may not be my undergarments... hanging from my desk... to avoid moldy underwear and lady parts interaction.

Ooops.

Off to study :)  I'm planning a delicious dinner too!

No comments:

Post a Comment