Sunday, September 18, 2011

Thanksgiving-Inspired, Stuffed Acorn Squash

You heard correctly.
I basically just had a miniature Thanksgiving all cooked and stuffed into a perfectly cooked acorn squash!  I almost ate both halves.. it was that good.

As my friend - LISA - was over, tackling our pol sci problem sct.... I started salivating at the thought of squash. Specifically, squash of the stuffed variety.  I literally got up, took out an acorn squash that I picked up the other day (on my grocery adventure from Hell), and started prepping for dinner.

Thanksgiving-inspired, Stuffed Acorn Squash
Ingredients:
- 1 acorn squash
- Sugar-free maple syrup
- Cinnamon, rosemary, salt, and pepper.

 Filling:
- 2/3 cup of meatless crumbles (Bocca soy crumbles for me!)
- about 2 cups of chopped cauliflower and brocolli
- 1/3 of a sweet yellow onion
- 1/3 cup of cottage cheese
- a handful of baby mushrooms
- sauce: I used turkey gravy from a jar.  I've also used cream of mushroom
- cheese: I used fat-free mozarella & cheddar cheese.

I washed the outside of the squash, cut the squash in half, and scooped out the insides.
I brushed the insides with no-sugar-added maple syrup, salt pepper, cinnamon, and rosemary.


I placed them, face down, in a baking pan, and cooked at 375 for about 25-30 minutes. (until squishy)


While this was cooking, I prepared my filling!
I mixed cauliflower, broccoli, and my sliced onions and sauteed them until tender.  I added in the mushrooms and the meatless crumbles.  At the very end (after I took the squash out of the over), I mixed in the cottage cheese and poured about 1/2 cup of gravy over the mixture (or any sauce of your choice). Then -- get to stuffing that squash!


Add your cheese on top.


Bake for about 3-5 minutes and turn to broil for the last 2 minutes.
Look at how gorgeous these are.... oh my goodness.
 

I almost didn't stop to take a picture -- it smelled and looked so darn amazing!!





Check out that perfect bite: meat crumble, mushroom, broccoli, squash... and all smothered in gravy.
AHHHHHHHHH!

I added some more maple syrup, just for kicks :)
I'm in love with this recipe. Stuffed squash is my new "dish"... it's been declared.

I'm off to study, go to yoga, and get FroYo!!
Hope you had an amazing weekend

No comments:

Post a Comment