Friday, September 16, 2011

Off Days Call for Discretionary Calories

Today, was an off day.
You know what I'm talking about -- it's Friday, you just want the weekend to start, but you have a million things to do before you can relax... and you just don't want to do any of it.

Thankfully, I have great friends and great food to keep me sane.
This world would be a dark place if I didn't have a bowl of oatmeal to soothe the soul.... just pray that I never run out (or be prepared to face the wrath of an extremely grumpy individual).

I started off my morning with - you guessed it - OATMEAL!
However, last night, I opened up a huge jar of applesauce, so I wanted to somehow incorporate it into my morning ritual... After making plain oatmeal, I added in cinnamon, sweetener, raisins, a little coconut extract, and half of a cup of unsweetened applesauce.

Cinnamon & Raisin Applesauce Oatmeal topped with Candied Walnuts.



I loved this! It mighttttt be on my blog for the next month or so (I told you it was a hugeee jar of applesauce...) so, I hope you grow just as fond of it.  The applesauce gave this a sweet flavor and definitely added some volume -- you know I like my portions BIG and out of control!

........ Then I went to class, where I might have bombed my arabic exam.
  I can solve a differential calculus equation or two.  I can write a 5 page essay in 30 minutes. I can bullshit my way through a political debate... but you throw a word like "cat" or "dog" at me on a freakin' Arabic test --- and I fall apart.

Damn. 

I came home and dove into a large bowl of all the things I've been craving lately:
- meat. veggies. hummus.

I sauteed my sweet italian chicken sausage, MorningStar soy crumbles, and broccoli.


Then tossed it into a huge mixing bowl of chopped romaine and roasted red pepper hummus. 



This salad will also make a few appearances in the near future.
And possibly every day for the rest of my life.

Meat + salad + hummus = eternal happiness.  If only I could mix in oatmeal without getting strange looks from my roommates... and the neighbors who can see into our living room. 

------------------------------------------------
------------------------------------------------

I had plans to go see The Contagion with Jenny, but I was a lame-o and decided to sleep through my alarm for a good 2 hours.  I hate when long naps totally throw off your mojo!

I was grumpy.  I wasn't hungry.  I just wanted to eat frozen yogurt and go to sleep.

However, my friendsies wanted some sustenance in the form of Thai food before getting froyo!!
So, we met up on our usual corner (yes, we probably look like prostitutes if you squint your eyes and tilt your head) and headed to dinnnaaa.

I wasn't feelin' curry (although, the pumpkin curry is bomb!) so, I got the Thai House special soup -- which is a hot and sour soup with seafood!
 



Obviously, finishing off an entire bowl of soup that is bigger than my head had no affect on my severe sweet tooth!! Guys, I think my time of the month is approaching, because I can NOT get enough sugar.  Check out my dessert:

Coffee Cognac and Ghirardelli Chocolate froyo with oreo, carob chips, waffle cone, and graham cracker crumbs!


And an M&M and chocolate chip cookie for the walk home.


Yes, it must be that time.
Not that I'm complaining.... because one can never have enough sweets :) Being a girl with "girl issues" gives you a perfect excuse to indulge in infinite quantities of discretionary calories. 

PLUS: I have to spend my Friday night at the gym -- work time :)  NOT to be confused with working out... yeah, right.

Goodnight guys! Start your weekend off right - have a cookie

No comments:

Post a Comment