Saturday, September 24, 2011

My Reason For Running...

Other than the fact that running helps keep my mental sanity in check... there is another reason I am SO GLAD I love the sport:

food. and lots of it.

Today, when my friend, Henry, texted me about this restaurant that makes gourmet salads with 7 toppings of your choice, I readily accepted.

Of course, by the time I got there, I realized..
1. I was starving
2. They had amazing salad options...
3. They're even more well-known for their tri-tip sandwich and curly fries.

What's a girl to do?
Thankfully, Henry suggested we order a salad, a sandwich, and some curly fries to split!! He's kind of the man of my dreams.

Gourmet salad topped with candied walnuts, garbanzo beans, broccoli, pepperoncini, carmelized onions, sauteed mushrooms, roasted corn, and carved, roasted turkey meat.  Tossed with a cilantro-lime vinaigrette. and a side of Foccacia bread



Tri-tip sandwich with horseradish mayo spread and melted cheese.



Garlic curly fries. Warm. Fresh. Addicting...
 

My eyes are actually a normal size, I promise... I just take really attractive bug-eyed photos.  sorry.
I think all my excitement builds up and this is the only way I know how to express it.  Unfortunately, I'm just not a normal person who "smiles" when they're happy.


We had no problem finishing off our salad, half sandwich, and curly fries!! I was tempted to order another round of fries, because they were so damn good.  But... I knew we had some dessert plans.


Our big dessert plans?

First, we wanted cookies.
Then, we wanted pie.
Then..... we wanted doughnuts, and we wanted them baaaddd.

Enter: Bob's Donuts & Pastry, in San Francisco.
There was a line by the time we showed up -- at 7:30! so you know it must be good -- and I had a good 10 minutes to decide on which DONUTS (plural) I wanted to try.

Of course, I went with the intention of getting a bunch of different desserts and trying a bite or two of each one.  I even told Henry (who has about as much will power/self control as I do...zero) that I'd make us stop binging on donuts after we were satisfied with a few nibbles...

wrong.

We tried a peanut butter cookie, upon recommendation. Unfortunately, the lady (who we pegged as "Bob's wife)  lied to us, as this cookie wasn't nearly as exciting as the rest of our picks, so we only took a bite or two before setting it aside.


Apple and raisin bread pudding. This was sooo dense and doughy -- filled with fresh apples and a thick, pie-like crust.  HEAVENLY.  I can't imagine how great it would be fresh and warm... not that I had any complaints.  Henry and I polished off a good 1/2 of this chunk.


Fresh apple fritter. Okay, I had never tried an apple fritter before this (true story).  I was hoooked.  Henry and I finished the entire thing... you bit into it and it was light, sweet, and totally not-greasy.  How could you stop to "put it aside"?? (Check out the swirls of cinnamon mixed into the dough)



My favorite of the night: Chocolate, custard-filled "long john." The custard was really light, not too sweet... kind of addicting.  At one point some custard dropped, and I proceeded to pick it up with my spoon and eat it..... I literally at 3/4 of this monster.  By far, the best donut I've ever had. And I've had a lot of donuts.


Don't worry, we stopped after consuming more than enough sugar to kill a horse... although I tried to convince/beg Henry to let me take home a maple custard donut. He had my best interests in mind, and dragged me out of the store (pouting the entire way).  Yes, I'm basically a two year old.

We drove through Sausalito and picked up two cups of freshly-brewed coffee, which we enjoyed as we walked by the water and chatted about the important things in life -- like which donut was better, the fritter or the custard?

I'm sufficiently stuffed.
I'm kind of glad I went for a run this morning...
I'm tired beyond belief!

But, I'll see you bright and early for breakfast and some recovery yoga :)
Goodnight!!

No comments:

Post a Comment