Sunday, September 11, 2011

A Tribute.



Ahhhh... I've been watching September 11th tributes all morning.  I know that this may seem a little depressing, but I also think it's important to remember a defining moment in our nation's history - a moment that changed the lives of so many Americans.

There are some things that we'll never forget.

-----------------------------------------------------------
-----------------------------------------------------------

Anyways, I've said my part, and I hope it doesn't set a somber tone for the rest of your day -- and for the rest of this post! -- because I have some great recipes to share :)

I woke up this morning, still a bit stuffy and sniffly, but feeling a lot better than yesterday!
I had no idea what I was craving, so I went for an all-American, IHop-style breakfast (for the college student....who doesn't appreciate 300000 discretionary calories at 7 in the morning)

Blueberry and cinnamon protein pancake, a piece of sprouted whole grain toast and butter, and eggbeaters with sharp cheddar cheese. 
 

My sexy-ass roommate (who looks this delicious when he wakes up in the morning) was playing chef in the kitchen... I caught him in action while he was flipping his sausage... hahaha.... sounds dirty.


Soooo, last semester I had an obsession with walnuts, so I did what any sane person would do... and bought like 6 pounds of raw walnuts.  Ummmm, months later, there has been barely a dent made, and my roommates were wondering why there was a huge thing of walnuts taking up valuable freezer space!!! I was tempted to just toss them (wtf?!) then I realized I could do so, so much more...

Honey and maple glazed roasted walnuts with cinnamon and brown sugar. 

Ingredients:
- Walnuts (no, you don't need 6 pounds)
- 2 tbsp of maple syrup (I only had 1 1/2 of no sugar added left)
- about 4-5 tbsp of honey (add and check periodically)
- about 2 1/2 tbsp of brown sugar and cinnamon.

1. Mix the honey, maple syrup, and walnuts.


2. Mix in about 2/3 of your cinnamon sugar mixture.


3. Spread on a baking sheet (sprayed with non-stick spray), top with leftover cinnamon sugar mix, sprinkle with salt, and bake in the over at 375 for 10-12 minutes.





Eat about 5 handfuls.
And enjoy each one.....
While they're warm and toasty and delicious.

-------------------------------------------------------

I decided I felt well enough to make it to a killer spin class today.
Yes, Jenny and I were those girls who brought their camera to class.  No, I don't get dressed in the dark, I just have zero fashion sense and I think long spandex and short shorts is classy.






The long spandex are essential if you want your lady parts to survive 45 minutes of up, down, around, backwards... God knows what else... on an uncomfortable bike saddle.

Jenny and I headed home to take narcissistic pictures of ourselves before making lunch.
spin really leaves you schweaty. yum. Glad there are hot guys at our gym.


Since my nose is like half stuffed and half run-all-over-the-place, I felt like I needed something with tons of flavor so I could actually taste what I was eating.

Black bean and pepper-stuffed yellow squash.

Ingredients:
- 1 yellow squash.
- 1/2 cup of black beans
- 1/4 of a chopped red pepper
- 1/3 cup of tomato sauce
- cumin, cinnamon, cayenne pepper, salt, pepper.

1. Cut and remove the insides of your squash with a spoon, then toast in either an oven or convection oven for 5-10 minutes. 
 


2. Fry your insides of the squash, beans, and red beans -- adding in your spices as you go.  Finish by adding in the tomato sauce. 

3. Stuff your squash, top with cheddar cheese, and heat in oven or convention oven for another 5-10 minutes. 
 

4. Take pictures... and enjoy.



For dessert -- yes, after every meal... like clockwork -- I heated up a half of a green apple in the microwave and topped with cinnamon, brown sugar, and those GLORIOUS NUTS.

it tastes like apple crisp. 

I'm off to study study study.  Then hang out with friends :)
Potluck dinner tonight with the roommies!!
Be excited.

1 comment:

  1. What a great list! I regularly make my own granola, crackers (great use for nut pulp!), nut milks, nut butter, kombucha, hummus, dressings, and pesto. I have tried to make yogurt a few times but haven’t gotten it quite right, yet. Yeast breads intimidate me for some reason, though I made my own english muffins once last year! I will definitely be bookmarking this list and making some of these (ketchup!) very soon.
    Jayme Silvestri

    ReplyDelete